Monday, May 2, 2011

NO SH*T SHERLOCK

Today I experienced something I have never experienced in the ten years I've been recruiting. A candidate lied. Now, of course, MANY candidates have lied before...but not to this magnitude. This wasn't a small, "the dog ate my homework" lie. This was "my stepbrother has been killed and I can't accept the offer from your client" lie. Now how do I know she was lying...because she had another offer on the table and instead of telling me she was going to take that position over the one my client offered, she told me that her stepbrother had been killed and she needed time to be with her family.

Now you're all asking...but how do you know she lied? Because on a hunch, I called the other company where she had the offer and when I asked the receptionist to connect me to her, she connected me right to her! BUSTED. (I totally should've worked for Scotland Yards). I'm still in shock. I don't know if you all know what the word KINE-AHORA means, but it's one of The Job Yenta's FAVORITES...It's the reason I don't bring baby stuff into the house before the baby is born; why I don't say, "WOW...we haven't hit ANY traffic yet!"; and why I never say the words, "The kids haven't been sick all winter." In essence, it's a curse or unwanted karma...and baby it's a BITCH.

There was no reason for this girl to lie. And the worst part is that after she told this tragic, albeit made up, story, my client sent her an email telling her how sorry they were and that they would love to have her in their employ...whenever she was ready to resume her search, the offer would still be on the table.

What candidates cease to realize is I understand they have to do what's best for them. I'm not a used car salesman who NEEDS you to take the job I offer...nor am I going to be angry if you go a different route. Sure, I'll be letdown, but I know it's not personal. The worst part for me is having to tell the client you're not interested and then having to start over, but ultimately, I sell people so I know that there's always the possibility for disappointment. But to make up a lie of that magnitude is just astonishing. And this was such a lovely candidate whom I thought I had developed a great rapport with. Joke's on me huh?

The bottom line is, if you work with a recruiter, be honest and informative throughout the process. If you have other interviews, or are close to getting offers, tell the recruiter. This will only add fuel to their fire of getting you hired. And most importantly, don't hedge your bets. In the end it will ALWAYS come back to bite you in the ass. Recruiters are amazing resources who can get you into doors you never thought possible...and help you land jobs that you may not have gotten without their help. I keep in touch with as many candidates that I DIDN'T place as those that I did because even when I don't find them jobs, I helped them with their search. But dishonesty or deceit may get you what you want in the immediate future, but ultimately it will come back to haunt you in the long run.

Good night and happy job hunting,

The Job Yenta

No comments:

Post a Comment