Sunday, February 10, 2013

WE'RE GOING TO KENTUCKY...

I know it's been about eight months since my last post and to my avid followers, I apologize. Life, writer's block and a myriad of other things got in the way...

Turning 40 has not sat well with me...I don't want to get old...and for some reason I'm feeling as though this birthday marks a significant milestone...I really AM an adult...you would've thought the first time my daughter called me, "Mommy" I would've had that epiphany, but I didn't. Up until about four weeks ago, I still sat at the kids' table at holidays. Still enjoyed the food served in the kids room at any affair I attended over the food served in the "main dining room." Still wear no makeup, my hair in a ponytail and can sing, "We're going to Kentucky, We're going to the fair..." with the best of them. I am truly young at heart and have always lived accordingly. And yes there's been the 40-year old virgin...but the 40-year old child? I think not. 

But as I sit in my kitchen the day before my 40th birthday, staring out at the beautiful winter wonderland mother nature delivered overnight, I found myself inspired and wanting to pen a new entry...

As a resident of the tri-state area, I had the distinct pleasure of living through hurricane sandy (cue the sarcasm)...two weeks without power, moving between four houses over the course of 14 days,  explaining to my tear-stained children why we can't go home and cleaning out my fish tank of the gorgeous fish that didn't last the cold snap that enveloped my powerless house. This horrific storm reeked havoc on my life, my children's lives and most of my friends and loved ones in ways that have forever scarred us. 

So as Snowstorm Nemo approached, I watched as everyone hunkered down and prepared for the worst...except me. I've had one too many arcade parties cancelled to worry about a few inches of powder. Actually, I was excited...we haven't had a good snow storm in almost two years, so I was thrilled to have a white oasis to ring in the next decade. Waking in the morning, getting my girls dressed in their snow gear, and greasing up my sled like Clark Griswold, made me feel like I was 10 years old again. What's better then hitting the hills for a day of laughs, sledding and hot chocolate? And that's when it hit me...age really IS just a number...

So what does all of this have to do with employment, the job market, etc...since that's what all my posts are about? Well, I've realized over the past few days, that it's never too late to reinvent yourself. 40 could very well be the new 20. Who cares what age group you check off on any form, ultimately, it's how you live your life that's important. Often times candidates will come to my office saying they need a new direction...something that excites them and makes them want to get up in the morning and go to work. And my advice is simple...then do it. Anything in life is achievable if you want it. Every  negative thought has a positive answer floating around somewhere...you just have to find it. Talk to everyone you know...and to everyone they know. Be diligent. Offer to work for free to prove yourself. And take a leap of faith...calculated or not, you're bound to discover something along the way. Life is too short, so do what you love.

Over the next 24 hours I will journey into the next decade. I wasn't looking forward to the days leading up to it, but the events that have taken place have put a new smile on face, and youthful glow back in my heart...Meeting one of my favorite pop stars; a wonderful makeover courtesy of the local salon; a day of sledding with my girls; and a few dinner celebrations on the horizons...I am ready to embark on the next chapter. And should any obstacles come along that give me pause, or I'm feeling too much like an adult...I'll bust out my "Frankie Says" t-shirt, banana clip, and Jordache jeans, turn on Cyndi Lauper and sing, at the top of my lungs, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun..." because I am determined to stay "Forever Young."

Have a great day and happy job hunting,

The Job Yenta

No comments:

Post a Comment